Tech Lead Manager (USA)
Kalepa is a rapidly growing, well-financed Series A start-up re-imagining the trillion-dollar commercial insurance industry. Our cross-functional teams leverage AI, cutting-edge tech and tons of data to deliver the right insurance coverage at the right price for every business. We call this Efficient Frontier insurance. It's the way insurance should work.
Salary range: $170k - $230k
Equity range: 0.05% - 0.2%
What we are looking for:
We are looking for an exceptional Tech Lead Manager to lead a team of developers in building Copilot, Kalepa’s flagship software platform. We are looking for a deeply technical leader with significant experience in either backend or full-stack engineering who is excited to be hands-on and a ‘player-coach’. The candidate will be responsible for setting strategy, for leading the team to deliver results consistently, for growing and developing talented engineers, and for cultivating a results-driven high-performance culture.
Note: You will spend a lot of the time on the engineering work as this is a hands-on position (around 50% - coding).
Kalepa's team members bring experience from top technology, insurance, and intelligence institutions including Facebook, Google, Amazon, Uber, Doordash, Mastercard, Chubb, AIG, Zurich, Everest Insurance, MIT, Berkeley, UPenn, the University of Warsaw, and the Israel Defense Forces.
Kalepa is backed by IA Ventures (early investors in Datadog, Wise, Better, Digital Ocean, TheTradeDesk, Flatiron Health, Komodo Health, etc.), Former Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker’s Inspired Capital, and leaders in financial services and technology including Gokul Rajaram from Doordash, Coinbase, and Square, Jackie Reses from Square, Affirm, and Alibaba, and Henry Ward from Carta.
In July 2021 we raised a $14 million Series A funding round led by Inspired Capital, with participation from previous investor IA Ventures.
You'll be right at home if you:
- Have 7+ years of relevant software engineering experience with at least 2 years of a full-time engineering people management experience.
- Have experience managing complex project that touch multiple teams and cross-functional partners.
- Have past success hiring talented engineers at different levels
- Have the ability to make the tradeoffs required to ship high-quality code while working within the constraints of a fast-growing company.
- Have strong development and system design skills. Python and/or React, as well as AWS experience are a big plus.
- Possess a bachelor's or master's degree in computer science or a related field.
What you’ll get:
- Competitive salary (based on experience level).
- Significant equity options package.
- Work with an ambitious, smart, global, and fun team to transform a $1T global industry.
- Ground floor opportunity – an early member of Kalepa’s engineering leadership team
- 20 days of PTO a year.
- Global team offsites.
- 100% covered PPO medical, 100% covered vision and dental for individuals and families.
- Healthy living/gym stipend. Mobile phone bill stipend.
- Continuing education credits.
- Home office stipend.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.