Tech Lead Manager (USA)
Kalepa is an award-winning software start-up re-imagining the trillion-dollar commercial insurance industry. Our cross-functional teams leverage AI, cutting-edge tech, and tons of data to help commercial insurance underwriters Bind with Confidence.
Why We're Here:
For hundreds of years. businesses have tried to find the right policy to protect themselves and their employees. However, commercial insurance is plagued with a big problem: it's really complicated!
Insurers find it hard to understand the true exposures of businesses and to profitably provide them with policies that reflect that risk. Businesses - like contractors, hotels, restaurants, transportation fleets, real estate lessors, and others - struggle to find the coverage they need and are often left underinsured, uninsured, or paying too much for what they need.
That's where we come in. Our AI-powered underwriting workbench - Copilot - compiles everything underwriters need, and flags the exposures they need to know about. With Copilot, underwriters can find critical information in a flash; digitize their underwriting guidelines; triage, prioritize, and track their book; and automatically read and summarize key documents, like loss runs and supplemental applications – all out of the box. This means that insurance carriers grow faster and are more profitable, and businesses get the right coverage at the right rates. It’s the way insurance should work.
Salary range: $165k - $215k
Equity range: 0.05% - 0.2%
What we are looking for:
We are looking for an exceptional Tech Lead Manager to lead a team of developers in building Copilot, Kalepa’s flagship software platform. We are looking for a deeply technical leader with significant experience in either backend or full-stack engineering who is excited to be hands-on and a ‘player-coach’. The candidate will be responsible for setting strategy, for leading the team to deliver results consistently, for growing and developing talented engineers, and for cultivating a results-driven high-performance culture.
Note: You will spend a lot of the time on the engineering work as this is a hands-on position (around 50% - coding).
You'll be right at home if you:
- Have 7+ years of relevant software engineering experience with at least 2 years of a full-time engineering people management experience.
- Have experience managing complex project that touch multiple teams and cross-functional partners.
- Have past success hiring talented engineers at different levels
- Have the ability to make the tradeoffs required to ship high-quality code while working within the constraints of a fast-growing company.
- Have strong development and system design skills. Python and/or React, as well as AWS experience are a big plus.
- Possess a bachelor's or master's degree in computer science or a related field.
What you’ll get:
- Competitive salary (based on experience level).
- Significant equity options package.
- Work with an ambitious, smart, global, and fun team to transform a $1T global industry.
- Ground floor opportunity – an early member of Kalepa’s engineering leadership team
- 20 days of PTO a year.
- Global team offsites.
- 100% covered PPO medical, 100% covered vision and dental for individuals and families.
- Healthy living/gym stipend. Mobile phone bill stipend.
- Continuing education credits.
- Home office stipend.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
Kalepa's team members bring experience from top technology, including Facebook, Google, Amazon, Mastercard, and Uber. Kalepa is backed by IA Ventures (early investors in Datadog, Wise, Better, Digital Ocean, TheTradeDesk, Flatiron Health, Komodo Health, etc.); former Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker’s Inspired Capital; and leaders in financial services and technology, including Gokul Rajaram from Doordash, Coinbase, and Square, Jackie Reses from Square, Affirm, and Alibaba, and Henry Ward from Carta.